Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Homemade Tour Swings

With the exception of Jim Furyk's, I love a homemade swing that's good enough to make it to the tour.

That said, I'm always worried that one of the more interesting swings could run headlong into a swing guru and get changed forever.

Rickie Fowler: I know, his swing really isn't homemade but his long time coach isn't a well-known guru, so I'll count his. I hope Fowler is confident enough to resist because I really like his swing.

Bubba: Like Daly & Furyk, I think Watson's swing is pretty much hard wired at this point, for better or worse.

Sergio Garcia: Scar tissue, overt personality defects and all, I am a Garcia fan. I watched him for four days at the Torrey a few years back and his ball striking was dazzling. The sound of his iron shots sound a lot like Trevino's. I think he could get desperate and get a swing & head guru and that would be the end of him. He'd go from near-great to mediocre; from a sometime artist to a mechanic. Think Charles Howell III...

The LPGA & Champion's Tours are even more rich when it comes to homemade swings. I don't much like the big, slow-tempo swings of most Korean players. Michelle Wie may end up being something of a cautionary tale; it's not hard to look at what happened to her game while under the ongoing influence of a guru and want to avoid the same fate.

I'm not sure how the swings of Paula Creamer, Morgan Pressel & Natalie Gulbis came to look the way they do. Each has been around a guru or two, yet their swings keep their unique look, which is very cool.

The guys on the Champion's Tour would probably be more guru-prone but I most of them lack the flexibility to rebuild their swings. That's good news since old-school and homemade swings are far more interesting.



No comments:

Post a Comment

About The Paul Cervantes Golf Reader